According to the Environmental Protection Agency, environmental education helps people develop a deeper understanding of environmental issues and learn the skills to make informed and responsible decisions. It also teaches people to weigh various sides of an issue through critical thinking and strengthens skills in problem-solving and decision-making. Through this process, individuals explore environmental topics and improve the natural world.
This type of education consists of:
- Learning to be sensitive to and aware of the environment and environmental challenges.
- Showing concern for the environment and motivation to preserve its quality.
- Developing the knowledge and skills to identify and help solve environmental issues.
- Participating in activities that help protect the environment.
The Take Care of Texas program from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality provides environmental education statewide, encouraging residents of all ages to learn about our natural resources and do their part to keep the air and water clean, conserve water and energy and send less waste to landfills.
One opportunity the program offers is the annual Video Contest for 6th through 12th graders. The contest is a fun way for young people to research environmental issues and learn how to Take Care of Texas. Then, they get to use their creativity to develop a 30-second video to share their knowledge with fellow Texans and show positive ways to protect our state.
The students who submit the best videos can win amazing prizes awarded by the contest sponsor, Waste Management of Texas, Inc.
9th-12th grade students can win scholarships
- 1st Place: $2,500 Scholarship
- 2nd Place: $1,500 Scholarship
- 3rd Place: $500 Scholarship
6th-8th grade students can win GoPro Camera Packages
- 1st Place: GoPro HERO7 Black Premium Package
- 2nd Place: GoPro HERO7 Black Deluxe Package
- 3rd Place: GoPro HERO7 Black Package
Plus, the middle and high school students who win first place will get the chance to travel to Austin, along with their teacher or family members, to be recognized by TCEQ Commissioners and representatives from Waste Management of Texas, Inc. at the 2020 Environmental Trade Fair and Conference.
Check out the winners of the last Take Care of Texas Video Contest and feel free to share them. Linked here.
Blog Post Written By Rachel Matvy, Take Care of Texas, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.