Young Texan Ambassadors
We invite Texans ages 15-25 to help us keep Texas beautiful. Ambassadors are passionate about the environment and are committed to creating the best place to live, work and play through volunteerism and leadership.
The Young Texan Ambassador Program seeks to inspire and empower youth to keep our communities clean and beautiful.
Our goal is to provide youth ambassadors with resources
- Information on the importance of litter prevention and other environmental efforts
- How to engage, spread awareness, and organize efforts in their local communities
- Become leaders and capacity builders within their communities
- Commit to one year of service as an Ambassador
- Read & Sign the Handbook
- Attend the virtual orientation session
- Attend all required virtual or in-person educational workshops.
- Complete one community project and showcase that project by the end of the program year
- Organize and participate in 1 cleanup event per year. Submit a wrap-up report for your event
- Share pictures of your event(s) and efforts on your social media and tag KTB
- Opportunities to engage with and learn from young Texans across the state
- Education about solid waste issues affecting the state and how you can help make a difference
- Gain connections with local environmental community leaders
- Dedicated support from the KTB team
- Opportunities for leadership and development
- Resume booster and community service hour fulfillment
- Resources and tools to help you lead your own cleanup efforts
- Cleanup supplies including: trash bag, gloves, hand sanitizer, masks, KTB bandana, KTB and DMWT swag
- You will be placed in a cohort with other ambassadors in your geographic area, you can work with this cohort to participate in program requirements together to build community.
- You will be introduced to the closest Keep Texas Beautiful Affiliate Coordinator to help guide you in planning your cleanup, and providing feedback for your community projects. This is a great way to start building relationships and networking within your community!
- If you are in the 18-25 age range you will be paired with a cohort of your peers, as being in a college or career age range may reflect how you plan your projects and cleanups.
A small number of participants will have an opportunity to join the Leadership Council. The Council will be convened to hold its own meetings and help to advise and lead the YTA program.
Within the Leadership Council, there are four (4) available officer roles:
- Co-Chairs (2)
- Marketing and Social Media Manager
If you do not wish to hold an officer role, there will be 8 available council seats to be filled by general officers.
Who can be a Young Texan Ambassador?
- Any individual living in Texas ages 15-25 years old can apply to be a Young Texan Ambassador. KTB is committed to ensuring equitable representation among program participants. Throughout our work, we support what makes our communities unique, including race, ethnicity, culture, socio-economic background, gender, sexual orientation, age, and physical ability. We commit to aligning our culture and operations to be a beacon of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
Do I have to live in Texas to serve as an ambassador?
- Yes, we require that all ambassadors be a Texas resident for the entire duration of the program year. Questions regarding this? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Are Ambassadors required to use social media?
- Yes, Ambassadors must use at least one (1) social media account in order to promote Keep Texas Beautiful.
Are Ambassadors required to participate in in-person events?
- Attend or organize at least one (1) organized cleanups in my area and assist with the planning/organization of a cleanup with a local affiliate (if your area has an affiliate). Ambassadors can choose to participate in this event with only family members or in groups of 10 or less.
When and where will YTA meetings and workshops be held?
- All required meetings with KTB staff and other ambassadors will be conducted virtually for everyone across the state. Most workshops and meetings will be after school hours.
- Group meetings can be held in person or virtually, and is up to the discretion of the team.
Is any previous experience required?
- We accept applicants of all levels of experience and knowledge on environmental issues, leadership skills, and any relevant experience.
How do I apply?
- Applications for the 2024-2025 cohort will open Spring 2024.
What happens after I apply?
- After your application has been submitted, a KTB staff member will reach out to schedule a 20-30 minute virtual or phone interview. Past YTA members who completed all of their requirements last year will not be required to interview again.
I still have questions.
- Please contact us.
“The community that comes with this program is the best thing about it. Getting to meet and work with people from all over Texas with the same passion for the environment as you is such a wonderful experience. I am so excited as I begin my Second Year as Co-Chair of the Leadership Council and recommend this program for all youth!”Hannah LagleyYTA member 2021-22 and 2022-23
“The impact of Keep Texas Beautiful and its affiliates is what inspired me to become a Young Texan Ambassador. Leading by example is a crucial necessity to what our planet’s future of life depends on. I recommend this program to any young Texan that is motivated and desires to make a change in today’s environment.”Priscilla VillarealYTA member 2022-23
“One of the things I love most about YTA is the way it has given me the chance to connect my passion for the environment with other passions and values in my life. This is not something I was necessarily expecting coming into YTA, but it has made my experience this past year all that much more valuable.”Sydney BrownYTA member 2022-23
Meet the 2023-2024 Young Texan Ambassadors
Interested in learning more about the Young Texan Ambassadors program? Fill out the contact form below. We’ll be in touch!