Affiliate of the Month: Keep San Angelo Beautiful
"VIRTUALLY" 6 months new, but …THE SHOW MUST GO ON…
Keep San Angelo Beautiful (KSAB) was revitalized in February this year to bring much awareness and maintain clean, green, and beautiful spaces in San Angelo, Texas.
- Strategic plans were implemented, a logo, letterhead, and brochure were designed and we put it all on a t-shirt, banner, and tablecloth
- Our 501(c)(3) was completed, we participated in the online Annual Day of Giving in May 2020, and we finished at 121 out of 190 businesses
- We achieved our Keep Texas Beautiful affiliate status and had our Ribbon cutting at our Chamber's Visitors Center all in June
- We set up our Facebook Page with over 500 Likes & Follows and are listed on the City of San Angelo's Web Page. We also created a cute Facebook video which was posted on KTB, KAB and TXDOT's Don't Mess w/Texas with over 4,000 views
Although COVId-19 impacted our community in many ways, KSAB was driven to focus on our concept. As some events were canceled or rescheduled, other opportunities arose and we were prepared.
- After a tv station visit for an interview and seeing an old "We Recycle" sign, we designed & distributed several posters for businesses to let their customers and employees know they recycle. It's 2-sided!
- We introduced ourselves to over 30 businesses and received over 20 contributions and in-kind donations.
- We were a hospitality sponsor to our Chambers West Texas Moving Forward event and our new organization was recognized by over two hundred participants including a few state legislators.
- Our KTB Webinars and the KTB Conference were the highlights of our year providing much-needed insights and education.
"WE CARE" acknowledges individuals and/or businesses that have gone above and beyond to make a difference. Our first recipient, Ruben was the inspiration for this program. He was acknowledged for his leadership and work with the San Angelo Clubhouse Cultivation Unit, including designing an amazing deck-top garden, interior plants, and succulents and flowers surrounding their exterior building. We also recognized our first responders and firefighters at all 8 of our fire stations on 9/11 National Day of Service.
We have over 15 KSAB Business Site Ambassadors, the go-to person from a business, educating their employees on all things KSAB. These Site Ambassadors represent a potential of over 1,900 volunteers. They also collaborate with others on projects, volunteering, and planning events in and around our community.
In addition, our KSAB Jr. Ambassadors represent over 2,000 elementary students who get educational lessons on the environment, water conservation, and recycling. "Recycle 4 Bicycles" shows how metals and plastics can be recycled to make bicycles and we are having a random drawing for a bicycle at each of our 25 elementary campuses (this includes private schools). We are also working on a Recycling/Environmental themed Planner/Calendar for them.
- We applied for a grant for 100 trees from Apache and they will be disbursed to our elementary campuses for beautification and much-needed shade.
"A Voice at the Table" is a monthly event, sharing our program with others and recruiting Business Site Ambassadors, volunteers and donors. One of our Advisory Board Members was so impressed with this program, her family is sponsoring this event next month which has reached over 24 businesses and guests.
- Our 1st Annual Recycling Event is for Household Hazardous Waste on September 19th and we expect about 250-300 cars and over 20 volunteers. Next year we will incorporate an Eco-Fair with our recycling event and add vendors from around our community.
- We've participated in over 10 live, zoom, Skype, teams, and in-person interviews and we are so proud to be a part of the Keep Texas Beautiful network.
Our journey has been possible due to the unending support of our Keep Texas Beautiful partnership and we are only able to share our story because of their dedication to new affiliates. We encourage you all to join your family and friends, take responsibility, and make a difference in your community today. We are just beginning to Keep San Angelo Beautiful, so San Angelo can do beautiful things!
Blog Post Written By Charlotte Anderson, Executive Director of Keep San Angelo Beautiful.