Diversity & Inclusion Resources
Here at Keep Texas Beautiful, we are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. These core values extend to all parts of our organization: internally among our staff and Board of Directors, within our affiliate network, and with every Texan we inspire and empower to help make a difference. Texas is considered one of the most diverse states in the nation, and we believe that embracing diversity and inclusion and serving all Texans will allow us to further our impact in making Texas the cleanest, most beautiful state.
Data has also proven that diversity can improve decision-making and encourages employees to be more creative, diligent, and hardworking (National Council of Nonprofits). KTB recently started taking more initiative to champion diversity and inclusion. The KTB staff started the LinkedIn Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging for All courses to be guided through important lessons on diversity in the workplace.
Check out our list of resources below to help you navigate diversity and inclusion.
Tips to Increase Diversity & Inclusion within your Affiliate
The Keep America Beautiful® Affiliate Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) Committee recognizes that diversity is more than just tolerating differences – diversity is about respecting, appreciating, and understanding the varying characteristics of individuals. The Affiliate D&I committee has worked together to offer the following tips to support the affiliate network in actively engaging and including diverse groups and individuals within communities.
LinkedIn Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging for All
These trainings introduce leadership and management to essential topics such as bias in all of its forms, cultural competence, communication, allyship, and accountability. Trainings include:
- Unconscious Bias
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
- Confronting Bias: Thriving Across our Differences
- Skills for Inclusive Conversations
- Communication about Culturally Sensitive Issues
- Communicating Across Cultures
- Bystander Training: From Bystander to Upstander
Nonprofit Learning Lab - Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resources
A compilation of resources for nonprofits that includes resources on building an inclusive workplace, websites, workbooks and readings to learn more about diversity, and COVID-related resources.
Nonprofit Leadership Alliance
The Nonprofit Leadership Alliance has compiled their favorite articles, videos and resources — all focused on helping social impact organizations create equitable and successful work operations — with a special focus on remote working. You will find hundreds of useful tips and tricks, including:
- 11 Ways Leaders Can Develop Empathy
- 2017 Race for Results: Building a Path to Opportunity for All Children
- 6 Ways to Overcome Your Biases for Good
- A Toolkit for Recruiting and Hiring A More Diverse Workforce
AWAKE to WOKE to WORK: Building a Race Equity CultureEquity in the Center works to shift mindsets, practices, and systems within the social sector to increase racial equity. We envision a future where nonprofit and philanthropic organizations advance race equity internally while centering it in their work externally.
Individual Reads and Resources
- Inclusion, Not Only Diversity, Should Be The Goal If We Want An Equitable Workplace (Forbes)
- How U.S. Employees can Support Employees of Color Through the Pandemic (Harvard Business Review)
- Practical Ideas for Improving Equity and Inclusion at Nonprofits (Stanford Social Innovation Review)
- Intersectional Environmentalism: Why Environmental Justice Is Essential For A Sustainable Future (The Good Trade)
- Recruiting for board diversity—without disrespecting people of color (Candid)
- Pronoun Guide (Glsen)