Our friends at Texas Disposal Systems recently shared some great tips to protect waste processing employees. These brave men and women put themselves at risk every day to help manage our waste. Please follow the tips below to help keep them safe during these uncertain times.
Essential personnel brings to mind doctors, nurses, and first responders. There are other front-line workers who are directly fighting the spread of COVID-19: solid waste collection drivers and waste processing employees.
These employees play a critical role in ensuring our communities stay healthy. They also have to move from house to house to collect waste and recycle, compost or dispose of waste products. In light of that, there are a few things our community should know in order to keep these critical service employees safe.
- BAG ALL LANDFILL TRASH – By bagging your trash, especially items like used tissues, it is easier to keep viruses and bacteria away from our critical service employees.
- KEEP ALL RECYCLING CLEAN AND LOOSE – When recycling is loose, it is easier to handle on our sorting line. Removing food and liquid residue from your recyclables minimizes viruses and bacteria as well!
- EMPTY ALL LIQUIDS – Liquids can carry viruses and bacteria, and can splash onto drivers when trash and recyclables are emptied. When bottles, cans and other containers are emptied before going in carts, the risk is minimized.
- WIPE/DISINFECT CART HANDLES AND LIDS – The two main touchpoints on a cart for our drivers are the lid and the handles. By wiping those areas down with disinfectant or soapy water, you minimize the danger of shared contact areas.
- SEAL AND MARK ALL SHARPS/NEEDLES – Properly dispose of medical sharp objects such as syringes by placing them in a sealed, rigid plastic container. Seal the container in duct tape, clearly mark it as "Sharps," and place in the trash.
About Texas Disposal Systems
Texas Disposal Systems (TDS) is one of the largest independently-owned solid waste collection, processing and disposal companies in the nation. Our fully integrated facility incorporates solid waste disposal, compost production and recycling operations. We provide the highest quality and most environmentally friendly services in the best interests of our customers, employees, neighbors and the community. Learn more about how TDS helps communities, organizations and schools manage and divert waste to beneficial uses at www.TexasDisposal.com.