For more than two decades, Keep Texas Beautiful, in partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), has awarded the prestigious Governor's Community Achievement Awards (GCAA) to ten Texas communities with the best grassroots environmental programs in the state each year.
The awards recognize achievement in seven areas:
- Community Leadership and Coordination
- Public Awareness
- Beautification and Community Improvement
- Litter Prevention and Cleanup
- Solid Waste Management
- Litter Law and Illegal Dumping Enforcement
The competition distributes $2 million in funding from TxDOT across the ten communities, with the amount based on population size. The funds are used for landscaping projects along local rights-of-way. A community’s environmental program is judged on achievements in seven different areas: community leadership and coordination, public awareness, education, beautification and community improvement, litter prevention and cleanup, solid waste management and litter law and illegal dumping enforcement.
Every community in Texas can win! While many of our applications come from cities and towns that are part of the KTB affiliate network, that is not a requirement. Our goal is to recognize communities who are working diligently to create and sustain comprehensive environmental and beautification programs.
Why should my community apply?
- Applying for the GCAA creates a written record of your community's environmental achievements, helpful when applying for grants and state funding.
- Working toward the GCAA brings together various segments of the community, including schoolchildren, adult volunteers and law enforcement, creating a sense of community pride.
- Studies show that a focus on litter prevention and beautification has positive economic effects on the community, reducing crime rates, and increasing tourism and economic development.
- Winning a GCAA earns your community positive statewide recognition, prestige in your region and a plaque from TxDOT you can proudly display in a prominent location, such as City Hall.
The Governor's Community Achievement Awards applications are now available, and the deadline to apply is Tuesday, February 4, 2014 by 5:00 pm.
Looking for guidance? Join one of our free webinars!
- December 12 @ 11:00 am
- January 7, 2014 @ 11:00 am
- January 16, 2014 @ 3:00 pm
- January 23, 2014 @ 3:00 pm
For questions or more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to learn more about the Governor's Community Achievement Awards program and view past winning projects.