We are excited to announce the winners of the 2017 Governor's Community Achievement Awards (GCAA). Congratulations to the winning communities!
Governor’s Community Achievement Awards
First Place Winners
Category 1: Muenster
Category 2: San Saba
Category 3: Bastrop
Category 4: Athens
Category 5: Murphy
Category 6: Copperas Cove
Category 7: Flower Mound
Category 8: Longview
Category 9: McAllen
Category 10: Forth Worth
For the full list of winning communities, please click here.
Applications for the 2018 GCAAs will be made avilable online in late 2017.
Receive updates on the GCAA's, award trainings, and other KTB programs by subscribing to KTB eNews, our monthly email newsletter. Click here to join.
To learn more about our awards training program, including our free, pre-recorded webinars, please click here.
For more than two decades, Keep Texas Beautiful, in partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), has awarded the prestigious Governor's Community Achievement Awards to ten Texas communities with the best grassroots environmental programs in the state each year.
The competition distributes $2 million in funding from TxDOT across the 10 communities, with the amount based on population size. The funds are used for landscaping projects along local rights-of-way. A community's environmental program is judged on achievements in seven areas:
- Community Leadership and Coordination
- Public Awareness
- Beautification and Community Improvement
- Litter Prevention and Cleanup
- Solid Waste Management
- Litter Law and Illegal Dumping Enforcement
Landscape Awards by Population Size Categories
|Population Category:||Landscape Award Of:|
|Category 1: Up to 3,000||$90,000|
|Category 2: 3,001 - 5,500||$110,000|
|Category 3: 5,501 - 9,000||$130,000|
|Category 4: 9,001 - 15,000||$160,000|
|Category 5: 15,001 - 25,000||$180,000|
|Category 6: 25,001 - 40,000||$210,000|
|Category 7: 40,001 - 65,000||$250,000|
|Category 8: 65,001 - 90,000||$270,000|
|Category 9: 90,001 - 180,000||$290,000|
|Category 10: 180,001+||$310,000|
Every community in Texas can win! While many of our applications come from cities and towns that are part of the KTB affiliate network, that is not a requirement. Our goal is to recognize communities who are working diligently to create and sustain comprehensive environmental and beautification programs.
Why should my community apply?
- Applying for the GCAA creates a written record of your community's environmental achievements, helpful when applying for grants and state funding.
- Working toward the GCAA brings together various segments of the community, including schoolchildren, adult volunteers and law enforcement, creating a sense of community pride.
- Studies show that a focus on litter prevention and beautification has positive economic effects on the community, reducing crime rates, and increasing tourism and economic development.
- Winning a GCAA earns your community positive statewide recognition, prestige in your region and a plaque from TxDOT you can proudly display in a prominent place, such as City Hall.
Click here to learn more about the Governor's Community Achievement Awards program and view past winning projects.